APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED
Three producer-director teams from both the UK and Ukraine have been selected to participate in sessions taking place at both Sheffield and Kiev, with hands-on guidance from leading industry professionals from both countries. The teams will then pitch their projects to potential funders in March 2017.
We are pleased to announce the selected participants of the DocWorks UA:UK 2016 programme:
Edward Cowley, UK - Loyalty Versus Truth In Ukraine
Vicki Thornton, UK - (N)OSTALGIA
Simon Hipkins, UK - The Return
Oksana Kazmina, UA - Underwater
Yuriy Shylov, UA - Panorama
Lyuba Knorozok, UA - The Great Accelerator
DocWorks: UA/UK aims to:
- Mentor emerging filmmakers on the conceptual development of their feature-length project;
- Prepare documentary filmmakers to attract the interest of funders, distributors and festivals;
- Prepare documentary filmmakers to access festivals and markets and get the most out of them;
- Build alliances and spark collaborations between UK and Ukraine-based documentary professionals.
DocWorks: UA-UK is seeking applications from emerging producer-director teams with a documentary feature proposal at an early stage.
Applicants may have had some success with previous short film projects on the international festival circuit, or had work broadcast on television. Applicants don’t necessarily need to demonstrate a documentary background but will need to be at emerging level and demonstrate a track record in filmmaking.
The programme is not appropriate for established filmmakers who have, for example, made more than one feature documentary or received significant industry recognition with a previous feature documentary or fiction film.
Applications to DocWorks: UA-UK must be:
- Producer-director teams comprised of one individual producer and one individual director. We will not accept applications from individuals hoping to act as both producer and director;
- Teams who are preparing to develop a feature documentary project with the ultimate goal of a theatrical release;
- Filmmakers over 18 years of age;
- Filmmakers who are residents of either the UK or Ukraine and are able to provide proof of address with their application (e.g. a utility bill from the last three months);
- Filmmakers who have a professional level of spoken English.
Please note the project does not have to be English or Ukrainian/Russian-language.
DocWorks: UA/UK is looking for projects that have:
- a strong artistic vision;
- an innovative approach to storytelling;
- the ability to connect with an international audience;
- a cinematic sensibility and theatric potential;
- the potential for international co-production.
Although it is not a pre-requisite, the DocWorks: UA/UK team encourages the submission of projects that have a Ukrainian connection.
The first workshop took place in Sheffield 8-10 June 2016, with participants encouraged to stay at Sheffield Doc/Fest 10-15 June.
The second workshop will take place at Docudays UA 24-31 March 2017.
The following costs will be covered:
- All training and mentoring;
- A full festival pass to each event;
- Accommodation and flights;
- Local travel;
- VISA application fees where required;
- Subsistence: lunch will be provided during the three days of each workshop in each country but not evening meals.
Please note that participants will be responsible for organising their own travel insurance.
Applications Open - 30 March 2016
Applications Close - 25 April 2016
Applicants Notified - 28 April 2016
Stage 1 Workshop in Sheffield - 8 - 10 June 2016
Attending Sheffield Doc/Fest - 10 - 15 June 2016
Ongoing Mentoring - Between July 2016 and February 2017
Stage 2 Workshop in Kiev - March 2017
Attending Docudays UA - 24 - 31 March 2017
How to Apply
Applications are now closed.