We are thrilled to announce the line-up for our 26th edition, 6-11 June, with a film programme of 180+ documentary features and shorts including, 28 digital art projects, plus special events, talks and 40+ industry sessions, commissioning panels and summits.
- Asif Kapadia’s Diego Maradona opens the festival, plus BAFTA Masterclass;
- New Spotlight Film strand includes Ai Weiwei, Werner Herzog, Jeanie Finlay, Nick Broomfield, Waad Al-Kateab, Ursula Macfarlane;
- 54% of titles in the Film programme made by women;
- 50% of projects in Alternate Realities made by women;
- Talks include Werner Herzog, Chidera Eggerue (aka The Slumflower), Paul Greengrass, Stacey Dooley, Nick Hornby, Sir Bradley Wiggins & Jenn Nkiru;
- Jack Hazan will attend the European Premiere of the 4K Restoration screening of Hockney biopic, A Bigger Splash;
- Industry programme of 40 plus sessions, commissioning panels and summits;
- New/Signals - the best in new broadcast, episodic and online films followed by conversations;
- Alternate Realities digital art exhibitions: 28 immersive & interactive experiences including works by Roger Ross Williams & Bill Posters;
- Alternate Realities Summit all-women key speaker line-up including Tea Uglow, Jepchumba & Karen Palmer;
- Live Event music includes Summer Camp, Kate Nash & Bo Ningen;
- Artists Kazim Rashid + Lotte Andersen present The Lovers Table;
- Country focus: New/Japan;
- Focus/Shapes That Move - Feminist Film Collectives: Film strand, Session and Party.
Under the tagline 'Ways of Seeing', inspired by John Berger’s television series and book of the same name, this year we are proud to headline a multitude of voices and perspectives and multiple ways of experiencing non-fiction, which together shape and question the narratives of our time.
All taking place in the heart of Sheffield’s city centre for six days is the Film programme of international documentary features and shorts which challenge world views, the Alternate Realities digital art programme of powerful interactive and immersive experiences which interrogate the documentary form, Live Events which showcase creativity in documentary across all artistic mediums, plus Talks, panels and parties.
Melanie Iredale, Interim Director, says: “This year’s Doc/Fest is a celebration of internationalism, creativity and discovery; looking at the world with new eyes and giving a platform to a multitude of voices and ideas. I am so excited today to be unveiling a line-up of 180+ Films and 27 Alternate Realities projects - from over 50 countries around the world, and over 50% of which are made by women. Live Events will feature music to voguing to social experiment; guests ranging from Asif Kapadia to Ai Weiwei to The Slumflower to Werner Herzog to Tea Uglow. Artist Charlotte Jarvis will grow ‘female' sperm! Only at Doc/Fest”.
A new addition to our film programme is Spotlight, highlighting screenings followed by extended conversations. Included within Spotlight are: acclaimed Chinese artist Ai Weiwei with The Rest; Werner Herzog with Nomad: In the Footsteps of Bruce Chatwin, hosted by Patrick Holland, Controller, BBC Two, a portrait of one of the 20th century’s most charismatic writers and a revealing personal insight into the imagination and obsessions of one of the world’s most visionary directors; Waad al-Kateab and Edward Watts with For Sama, hosted by Channel Four's Jon Snow about the experience of war told as a message from a young Syrian mother, Jeanie Finlay and Freddy McConnell, with Seahorse which documents one trans man’s quest to fulfil the age-old desire to start his own family, Nick Broomfield with Marianne & Leonard: Words of Love, a beautiful yet tragic love story between Leonard Cohen and his Norwegian muse Marianne Ihlen, Ursula MacFarlane plus panel with Untouchable, the inside story of the meteoric rise and shocking fall of movie titan Harvey Weinstein, Seamus Murphy with A Dog Called Money which investigates the creative process behind British musician PJ Harvey’s album The Hope Six Demolition Project.
You can read more of what's on across Films, Live Events, Alternate Realities, Talks, Parties & more by viewing our full press release here.