**Applications are now closed**
Sheffield DocFest is thrilled to open the search for participants in the Youth Jury programme which is now in its 17th year. Five young film enthusiasts will be offered the opportunity to meet experts and professionals within the film industry, select films for the Festival, and choose the winner of the Youth Jury Award announced at the Sheffield DocFest Awards Ceremony.
Who Can Apply?
We welcome applicants from a variety of backgrounds, with no special qualifications or experience needed. If you are aged 18-23, based in the UK, and have a passion for documentary and the media industry, this is the programme for you.
This free programme offers opportunities for people wishing to enter the film and media industry. It is a tremendous way to see how an international film festival works, and you will have your say about the best documentary films being made today. Previous Youth Jury Award Winners have included Alis (2022) If god were a woman / Si dios fuera mujer (2021), Baracoa (2019), Amal (2018), 69 Minutes of 86 Days (2017), Sonita (2016), 3 ½ Minutes, 10 Bullets (2015) and The Internet’s Own Boy: The Story of Aaron Swartz (2014).
Past youth jurors have gone on to work with organisations including the BBC, Channel 4 and ITN; made shorts and feature length documentaries for commissioners including BBC Three; programmed films, produced panels for festivals and gone on to write for Sight & Sound magazine.
What's On Offer?
- Successful applicants will be invited to a two-day workshop in London on 16 and 17 February.
- During the workshops you will meet leading organisations from across the film and media industry.
- Participants will attend a further one day workshop in April in Sheffield to finalise their programme nominations and to prepare for the festival.
- Youth Jurors will also receive a Festival Pass to attend Sheffield DocFest 2023.
- You will attend screenings of the selected Youth Jury films and a deliberation during the Festival, selecting the winner of the Youth Jury Award 2023.
- Travel and accommodation costs will be provided for both the London workshop and Sheffield events.
You will need to be available for the following activity:
- Interviews: 26 - 27 January 2023 (interviews can take place online or in-person, please specify which you would prefer in your application form)
- London Workshop: 16-17 February 2023
- Sheffield Workshop: April (date TBC)
- Sheffield DocFest 2023 Festival: 14-19 June 2023
How to Apply
Applications for the 2023 Youth Jury are now open to individuals aged 18-23 based in the UK.
To apply, please click here to fill in and submit an Application Form.
If you would like to tell us your answers by submitting a video up to 8 minutes long - please click here to use the Video Application Form.
If you would like to access this application form in an alternative format or if you have any questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We monitor the diversity of our participants in the projects that we run. For the purposes of reporting to our key funders we ask that you help us by clicking here to complete the questionnaire anonymously.
The application deadline is Monday 16 January 2023 12:00 (Noon GMT).