MEETMARKET 2018 IS NOW CLOSED FOR SUBMISSIONS
WHAT IS MEETMARKET?
MeetMarket is one of the world’s largest documentary and factual markets and the flagship pitching opportunity at Doc/Fest with the opportunity to meet with over 300 international funders, broadcasters, distributors, sales agents and exhibitors. Doc/Fest offers a unique way to pitch your projects through individual match made meetings between pitchers and the Decision Makers, so they can get straight into creative and financial discussions. Projects range from long form films to short form films, series and formats.
If you're looking to make partnerships and get funding from the international market for interactive, immersive and Virtual Reality projects, within the documentary, factual or hybrid genre, submit to the Alternate Realities Market.
It's highly recommended that you read all the information on this page before applying – we want you to make your project the very best it can be when applying.
Decision Makers view short pitch teasers of your innovative documentary ideas online, along with short synopses, biographical information and headline budget figures in advance of Doc/Fest. From this they select which projects they would like to discuss in one-to-one meetings at MeetMarket. Projects can be in any genre of documentary/factual, from factual entertainment through to art/installation documentaries. We also welcome cross-platform/interactive projects and those projects looking to raise finance and distribute/exhibit their projects through alternative strategies including via crowdfunding and third sector support. MeetMarket features experts in these areas for you to meet, alongside broadcasters, film funds, sales agents and distributors.
In 2017 we received over 550 entries from 53 countries for MeetMarket. You can view the 2017 selected projects here.
If you are not selected for MeetMarket we offer many other Marketplace opportunities. If you'd like to discuss how your projects can benefit from any of the opportunities at Sheffield Doc/Fest, we'd be delighted to talk about it with you, so feel welcome to email us and discuss what help we can get you in our marketplace.
To help you get your future applications ready, you might be interested in our year-round Training and Workshops and Individualised Mentoring.
MEETMARKET 2017 - FACTS AND FIGURES
In 2017, there were over 300 confirmed commissioners and Decision Makers at Doc/Fest. These projects were part of over 1,600 meetings taking place over two days, with 20 meetings per project on average.
"MeetMarket is definitely the place for the trend-setters in the documentary world."
"The meetings we had during MeetMarket were meaningful, intimate and well organised, and the commissioning editors were warm, approachable and receptive."
"The access we had to the international doc community at MeetMarket was unparalleled."
"Pitching in intimate one-to-one sessions was a big comfort. It reduces tension and competitiveness and makes the whole thing much more relaxed and fun."
IS MY PROJECT ELIGIBLE?
We're always happy to help you get your project submissions ready for any marketplace opportunity, so as you plan your submissions for any marketplace pitch, or your general strategy for presenting projects in Sheffield to Decision Makers, here are some guidelines for you:
- MeetMarket is open to all documentary makers from any country. No prior credits are necessary.
- Your project can be at any stage of development, production, or post-production.
- Interactive factual/documentary, web-based, mobile phone/mobile device content, cross-platform and convergent media projects are also eligible and indeed highly encouraged, with specialised commissioners, funders and advisers present. You can choose to submit your project to either MeetMarket or the Alternate Realities Market. If you aren't sure which market to submit to, get in touch and we can advise you.
- You can enter as many projects as you like, but we recommend that you don't submit more than 5 because we're very unlikely to select more than 2 from any one company.
- Your projects must have international appeal and take an innovative/fresh approach to either the content, the execution of the idea or both.
- Your project may take any form or specialist focus, e.g. feature documentaries, television, series or specialised genres. Natural history, science and arts projects are very welcome.
- Projects do not need to have financing already in place.
HOW DO I APPLY?
Applications for the MeetMarket and the Alternate Realities Market 2018 are now closed.
If you have any queries about how MeetMarket works or the submission process, please email the Marketplace team.